“The Only Foundation for Life”
Matthew 7:24-29 (page 901)
Truth #1: Everyone is building his or her life on a foundation. (Matthew 7:24, 26)
Truth #2: Every foundation will be tested. (Matthew 7:25, 27; 1 Peter 4:12-13; James 1:2-4; Hebrews 9:27, Jude 24, Proverbs 14:12)
Truth #3: Jesus is the only solid foundation for all of life. (1 Corinthians 3:10-11)
- How do I build my life on the right foundation? (Luke 6:47-48, Matthew 7:28-29; 11:28-30, Colossians 1:17)
- On what foundation are you building your life? (Psalm 40:1-3; 62:5-8)
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
1. What are some foundations that people build their life on?
2. How are these foundations tested?
3. How does your foundation affect your decisions? (Matthew 7:24-28)
4. Why is Jesus the only foundation for all of life? (I Corinthians 3:10-11)
5. How do I build my life on the right foundation (Jesus)? (Luke 6:47, Matthew 11:28-30)
6. On what foundation are you building your life? (Psalm 40:1-3, Psalm 62:5-8)
7. If Jesus is your foundation, what are you willing to sacrifice in order to follow after Him?
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
VIEW THIS VIDEO, then complete the questions / activity below.
Jesus would often use stories called parables to teach the people an important life lesson. In this parable, he compared building a house with how we should build our lives.
- Jesus told a parable about building houses.
- If you build a house on rock it will last a long time.
- If you build a house on sand it will crumble away.
- Wise kids build their lives on the Bible.
Matthew 7:24 Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock.
- What’s your favorite part of the video? What’s one thing you learned from it?
- Describe the coolest thing you’ve ever built whether with legos, blocks or with sand on the beach.
- Why is starting with a good foundation important when building a structure? What is likely to happen if you don’t start with a good base?
- Why do you think Jesus used a house as an example for how to build or lives? What book provides the best foundation?
- Read 1 Corinthians 3:10-11. This is Paul talking about his job as an apostle teaching the people about Jesus. What are some things we should be careful not to build our lives upon? Who is the only sure foundation for our lives?
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
Activity (for infant – K5 and older):
VIEW THIS VIDEO and SING ALONG
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download