Special Praise/Prayer Service
Psalm 100:1-5 Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! 2 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! 3 Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! 5 For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
Psalm 145:1-3 I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. 2 Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. 3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable.
- Praise God
-For who He is.
-For what He has done.
-For What He is doing.
Psalm 24:3-5 Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? 4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully. 5 He will receive blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
Psalm 130:1-8 Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord! 2 O Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercy! 3 If you, O Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? 4 But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared. 5 I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; 6 my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. 7 O Israel, hope in the Lord! For with the LORD there is steadfast love, and with him is plentiful redemption. 8 And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
- Pray for self.
Psalm 96:1-6 Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! 2 Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. 3 Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples! 4 For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; he is to be feared above all gods. 5 For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the Lord made the heavens. 6 Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
1 Timothy 2:1-4 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 3 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Pray for others.
-Salvation of others
DISCUSSION for ADULTS & STUDENTS
1. Why is prayer important for the health and life of the believer?
2. Why is spending time in praise & worship important for the health and life of the believer?
3. If you haven’t already prayed aloud or as a group, discuss what you are personally able to praise God for and the ways that you like to praise God.
DISCUSSION for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
Prayer Stations at Home
Choose two or three of these prayer stations to try at home with your family.
1. Words of Love – Children use scrabble tiles to make an on-going crossword full of words that remind them about God. After creating the word, pray and thank God for that attribute or characteristic.
2. Celebration Station – Children draw a picture showing God’s love. While they are drawing, pray and thank God for showing His love to them this way.
3. Calling on God – Children use the provided fake cell phones to talk to God in prayer. They find a place to sit and talk out loud to God about anything they want.
4. Handwritten – Children read Isaiah 49:16 (“I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.”) and look at their own hands as they think about God’s great love for us. Trace their hands on a poster and write their name on the traced hand and thank God for sending His Son to die on a cross for us.
5. Getting Rid of Idols – Children make an idol out of playdough, then spend time in prayer, asking God to remove that idol from their lives. After they pray, they smash their playdough idol as a sign of putting God first
6. Band-Aid Prayers- Have kids write the name of a person that needs healing on a band-aid. Then have them say a prayer over the band-aid as they stick it onto a cross or a drawing of a cross.
7. He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands – Remind kids that God cares about the entire world. Have kids spend time looking over a large map and ask God to place a country on their heart. Say a prayer for that country.
8. Light a Candle – Jesus is the Light of the World, He has called us to be a light to our friends. Assist kids to carefully light a candle as they say a prayer for their lost friends or family members.
9. Bitter Sweet Prayer – It’s important that we teach kids from an early age that life is bittersweet. Bad things happen. Have kids taste a lemon to remind them how those things feel to us and to God. Then have kids taste chocolate to remember that God is good and he wants good things for our lives. Pray thanking God for His goodness.
10. Prayer Wall – Write or draw prayers, praises, thanks, concerns on a poster or sticky notes and post on a wall in your house.
11. Count Your Blessings – Kids stack Legos, or Duplos, thanking God for a blessing with each one.
12. First Responders: Draw a hospital, fire station, or police station and write names of doctors, nurses, fire fighters or police officers you know and pray for them.
13. Prayer Walk – Take a walk in your neighborhood and stop and pray for your neighbors as you pass each home.
14. Creation Speaks – Go outside and search for items in God’s creation (grass, flowers, birds, trees, clouds, water, etc). Each person choose one thing and tell how it tells them something about God.
15. Jesus Make us Clean – Squirt a bit of hand sanitizer or wash your hands with soap. As you are washing, thank Jesus for taking the punishment for your sins so you can be forgiven and clean from your sins.
Activity (for infant – K5 and older):
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.