“Essential Marks of the Church”
Mark #1: Truth (Matthew 16:13-17, Hebrews 1:1-4, John 6:44, Psalm 32:1-2)
- Given in Jesus.
- Revealed by the Father.
- Available to all.
Mark #2: Power (Matthew 16:18, Ephesians 2:19-22, 1 Peter 2:9-10, 1 Corinthians 15:54-57)
- In identity.
- In community.
- In security.
Mark #3: Authority (Matthew 16:19, Ephesians 5:25-27, Matthew 28:18-20)
- Responsibility to the church.
- Responsibility to the world.
- Who do you say Jesus is?
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
(older kids may participate, too.)
1. Where are some places that people seek “truth”?
2. Who do you believe Jesus is ? (Matthew 16:15-16)
3. Is power good or bad? Why do people seek power?
4. How do we get real power? (Galations 1:10, 2:20)
5. How have you seen authority misused within the church?
6. How have you seen authority used for the glory of God within the church? (Matthew 16:19)
7. Where does ultimate authority come from? (Matthew 28:18-20)
8. Do you see these marks: truth, power, and authority at Charleston Baptist Church? If not, how can you help the church exhibit these marks?
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
Complete the activity below.
Ask your child / children to draw a picture of what they think the church looks like.
(Most children will probably draw a picture of a building.)
After they finish their drawing, use this illustration, along with Matthew 16:18, Ephesians 2:19-22, and 1 Peter 2:9-10, to explain that the church is not a building. The building is the place where people gather to praise and worship, but the church is actually made up of the believers.
Now, ask your child / children complete their drawing by adding people (or more people) to their drawing.
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.