Each year the South Carolina Baptist Convention collects packets of items such as candy, pens and tablets and personal hygiene items to distribute to South Carolina Department of Corrections inmates and to youth at the Department of Juvenile Justice. The 2016 collection marks the 40th year for the prisoner packet ministry.
The total prison ministry goal for 2016 is 25,000 packs. The goal for Charleston Baptist Church is at least 75 packs. Below is a list of those items which may be used in the packets:
- One BLACK non-retractable pen (no wire clip and no other color pen)
- One writing tablet no longer than 5 1/2″ by 8″ (No wire bound tablets or composition books)
- One adult toothbrush (individually factory sealed, no multi-packs)
- Five first-class #10 stamp-embossed envelopes(purchase at US Post Office)
- Two rolls of candy (Life Savers, Mentos, Breath Savers, and similar items)
- One 4 oz. to 6 oz. bar of soap (no travel sizes)
- One 5.8 oz. or larger toothpaste (no travel sizes)
- One gallon size zipper bag
All items must fit in the gallon size zipper bag with zipper closed securely.
Packets may be delivered prior to Wednesday, November 30, 2016 to Charleston Baptist Church and placed in the barrel located in the hallway between the main sanctuary foyer and the family ministry center.