“Assured: To Whom are You Listening?”
1 John 4:1-6
Question #1: To whom are you listening? (1 John 4:1-6)
Question #2: What does it say about Jesus? (1 John 4:2-3)
Question #3: How does it connect with the culture? (1 John 4:4-6)
DISCUSSION for the FAMILY
Did you know that what you think in your mind is important? Everything you learn and everything you believe will eventually affect the way you live your life. For example:
- If you believe in being healthy, you will eat a lot of vegetables.
- If you believe in the Golden Rule, you will help a kid who drops his books.
- If you believe in obeying your parents, you will take out the garbage when they say so.
Thinking right can help you live right. But this is also true: thinking wrong can make you live wrong. So be careful about what you think!
From the Bible:
1 John 4:6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
Grab a sheet of paper and a pencil. Draw a line down the middle of the page from top to bottom.
In one column, make a list of things that you know are true. Here are some examples:
- My parents love me.
- Jesus loves me.
- Jesus died on the cross for me.
In the second column, make a list of the things you know are NOT true. For example:
- Junk food is good for you.
- Unicorns are for real.
- Yellow snow is tastier than white snow. (It’s not a snowcone, kids. Trust me, don’t eat yellow snow!) life flows from it.
Take that piece of paper, and rip it right down the middle. This is the fun part. Hold on to what is true. Crumple up the stuff that is false, and shoot it into the garbage can.
Do you get the point of the Brain Game? What you believe really matters. If you believe in silly stuff, you’ll end up looking silly. That’s why the Bible tells us to protect our minds and listen to what is true and not to listen to things that aren’t true.
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.