“Assured: The Priority of Love”
1 John 2:7-11
- The connection is love. (1 John 2:7-8; 3:11, Mark 12:28-31, Romans 13:9)
Question #2: What makes the old commandment new?
- It’s new in example. (John 13:1)
- It’s new in reach. (John 4:4, Romans 5:7-8)
- It’s new in teaching. (1 John 2:8)
Question #2: How is it possible for me to love others?
- Christ in me. (1 John 2:8, 2 Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 5:22-23, Philippians 4:5-8)
- Who do you find difficult to love? (1 John 2:9-11)
- What is one way you can show love to that person this week? (John 13:34-35, 1 Corinthians 13)
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
1. What are the two greatest commandments? (Matthew 22:36-40)
2. How have you seen the commandment to love, lived out in the life of others? (John 13:1)
3. What happens when we try to love others in our own strength and not in Christ? (1 John 2:8, 2 Corinithians 5:17)
4. Do you know someone who is difficult to love? What is one way you can show love to that person this week? (1 John 2:9-11, John 13:34-35)
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION and ACTIVITY for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
Kids in grades k4-5th, view this video: CLICK HERE then, complete the discussion below.
Kids infant – 3 or 4 years old, view and sing along with this video: CLICK HERE .
- Jesus said to love God first.
- Jesus said to love others second.
John 13:34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other.
Discussion and Activity:
- Make a list of people you love. Make a list of things you love. Why do you love those things?
- Why do we need to love God first? How does our relationship with God help us to love others?
- How has God shown you love? How do you show love to God?
- How do you show love to your parents? Your friends? Your siblings?
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.