“Assured: Our Message”
1 John 1:5-10
Truth #1: God is always light. (1 John 1:5, Exodus 34:29, Isaiah 6:3, Hebrews 4:13, John 8:12, James 1:17, Ephesians 5:13)
Truth #2: We still commit sin.
- We can be dishonest about our sin. (1 John 1:6, 8, 10; Psalm 139:23-24, Titus 2:11-14, John 10:10)
- We can be honest about our sin. (1 John 1:9)
Why is it important to be honest about our sin?
- Honesty leads to intimacy with God and others. (1 John 1:7a)
- Honesty leads to practical holiness from God. (1 John 1:7b, Hebrews 9:14, Philippians 1:6)
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
1. What does it mean to walk in the light?
2. What does it mean to walk in the darkness?
3. Why is it significant that there is no darkness in God at all? (John 8:12)
4. What is the connection between what Jesus says of Himself in John 8:12 and what John says about Jesus (God) in 1 John 1:5?
5. Why do you continue to sin? Have you ever been dishonest about your sin?
6. How does being honest about our sin lead to intimacy with God? (1 John 1:7)
7. How does being honest about our sin lead to intimacy with others? (1 John 1:7)
8. Is holiness something that you achieve or is it given to you by Jesus? (Hebrews 9:14, Philippians 1:6)
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION and ACTIVITY for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
View this Video and fine the answer to the questions below in the song: Click here.
Who can we turn to when we feel hopeless or lost?
Who rescues us when we are feeling down?
Who is the Light of the World?
Clap and sing along with this video, then answer the following questions: Click here
Where does the “Light” inside you come from?
Where you can let the light of Jesus shine?
In what ways can you let the light of Jesus shine when you are afraid?
This activity is based on 1 John 2:9-11. Go for a walk on a dark night or allow your children to walk with you in a dark room. Ask if they are walking in the light or in the dark. (If they say they are walking in the light, ask if they are trying to fool you.)
Read 1 John 2:9-11. Explain that anyone who says they love God, but doesn’t love their brother is fooling himself or lying, just like the person who walks in the dark and says he is in the light.
1 John 2:9-11
“Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness; he does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded him.”
Also, read 1 John 1:5-7. Finish by praying together, asking God to remove any darkness and sin and to fill your hearts and home with His love and light.
1 John 1:5-7
“This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light; in Him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with Him yet walk in darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.”
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.