“The Defining Mark of a Jesus Follower”
Matthew 7:21-23 (page 901)
Question #1: What makes me a genuine follower of Jesus?
- It’s not defined by my profession of faith. (Matthew 7:21a; 15:8-9a, James 2:19, John 2:23-25)
- It’s not defined by my telling of truth. (Matthew 7:22a)
- It’s not defined by my opposition towards evil. (Matthew 7:22b)
- It’s not defined by my performance of doing good. (Matthew 7:22c, Luke 18:9-14, 1 Samuel 16:7, Isaiah 64:6)
- It’s defined by a personal relationship with Jesus. (Matthew 5:20, 48; 7:21-23, Psalm 51:5, John 6:40)
What is the will of the Father?
Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus? (John 14:6, Titus 3:4-7, 2 Peter 3:9-10a)
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
1. Who in your life has been an example of a humble, meek Christian?
2. Why can’t you depend on being a good person to get you into heaven? (Ephesians 2:8-10, Romans 3:10-12, 19, 20.)
3. How does someone know if he/she is a follower of Jesus? Matthew 7:21, John 6:40)
4. How do you know the Father’s will? (John 14:6, Titus 3:4-7, 2 Peter 3:9-10a)
5. Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus? If so, share your story about when you trusted Jesus, as your Savior.
6. How does heart change show a relationship with God? (Ezekiel 11:19-20, 2 Corinthians 5:16-21)
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
VIEW THIS VIDEO, then complete the questions / activity below.
- Our problem is sin.
- Our solution is Jesus.
- Our response is faith.
- We start by trusting Jesus.
Galatians 1:4 Jesus gave his life for our sins, just as God our Father planned, in order to rescue us from this evil world in which we live.
- What’s your favorite part of the video? What’s one thing you learned from it?
- What is sin? Why is sin a problem?
- What did Jesus do to fix our sin problem?
- Make a list of the stuff you got for your last birthday. How much of it did you pay for with your own money? Who gave you your presents?
- Read Ephesians 2:8-9. Jesus is God’s gift to us. What do we have to do to get that gift? How much do we have to “pay” God for it?
- Have you put your faith in Jesus? If not, are you ready today? Pray the prayer with your parents or teacher.
- How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.