“Reasons Not to Worry”
Matthew 6:25-34 (page 900)
Reason #1: God cares for you. (Matthew 6:26-30)
Reason #2: God knows what you need. (Matthew 6:31-32)
- Look first to God. (Matthew 6:24, 33; Isaiah 40:28-31, 41:10)
- Draw near to God. (Matthew 6:34, James 4:8a, 1 Peter 5:7, Psalm 56:3, Philippians 4:6-7; 19, Lamentations 3:22-23)
DISCUSSION POINTS for STUDENTS and ADULTS
1. What are things in your life that can cause you to be anxious?
2. Why do we find ourselves being anxious about these things?
3. According to Romans 12:2, God uses what we put into our mind to change our heart. Where are you focusing your mind?
4. How is it possible for us not to be anxious? (Matthew 6:31-32)
5. Share an experience from your past where God has taken care of you.
6. What can we gain if we seek God? (Matthew 6:33, Isaiah 41:10, Isaiah 40:28-31)
7. What are some ways that you can draw near to God? (Matthew 6:34, 1 Peter 5:7, Philippians 5:6-7)
8. How can focusing on God instead of our situation bring us peace?
Don’t forget to check out our CB students LifeGroup resource page, too!
DISCUSSION for KIDS (infant – 5th grade)
VIEW THIS VIDEO, then complete the questions / activity below.
The Bible tells us to do three things when we’re worried
- Don’t worry about it.
- Pray about it.
- Thank God.
Matthew 6:31-32, 34a Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all….Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow…
1. What’s your favorite part of the video? What’s one thing you learned from it?
2. Make a list of things adults seem to stress about. Make a list of things kids worry about. How do people typically act when they’re stressed?
3. Why don’t we need to worry?
4. How has God helped you when you’ve been worried about something?
5. Make a list of people and situations you want to pray for as a family.
6. Why is being thankful a part of overcoming worry?
7. Read Matthew 6:24-34. What does Jesus tell us to do with our worries? What does he give us in return?
8. How will you apply this lesson to your life this week?
2. Look around and find things that you can see or hear that God created.
3. What are ways that God cares for the birds and flowers?
4. What are ways that God cares for you?
Don’t forget to check out the CB kids LifeGroup resource page.